John Michael KearnsSenior Counsel
John Michael Kearns is a seasoned litigator with many years of experience providing valuable counsel to servicers, investors, lenders, banks, and other financial institutions to address their legal needs. His practice focuses on the representation of financial institutions in consumer finance litigation, real estate litigation, and foreclosure litigation.
John Michael has extensive experience litigating cases arising under various federal consumer protection statutes including the FDCPA, RESPA, TILA, and FCRA in addition to claims for breach of contract, wrongful foreclosure, securitization challenges, intentional torts, negligence, unfair or deceptive acts or practices, and many other issues related to the enforcement of security instruments. He routinely represents financial institutions and other businesses in both state and federal courts throughout the country and from coast to coast.
John Michael leverages experience in all aspects of litigation, including case pleading, motions practice, discovery, settlement negotiation, and trial. He also has extensive appellate experience representing businesses in state and federal appellate courts.
Luke Skywalker: “I don’t believe it.”
Master Yoda: “That is why you fail.”
- University of Georgia School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2005)
- Emory University (B.A., 2002)
- Georgia (2005)
- North Carolina (2018)
- Tennessee (2022)
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court, Western District of North Carolina
- Project Open Hand