Dorian C. CotlarSenior Counsel
Dorian Cotlar’s dedication and commitment to criminal law began over twenty years ago in law school when he earned the highest grade in his Criminal Law class. Since then, Dorian has personally tried well over 100 cases to verdict throughout Southeast Texas, and handled thousands of criminal cases to completion. Prior to joining Hanszen Laporte, he was the principal of his own successful law practice devoted entirely to the representation of individuals in criminally-related matters. Dorian also spent five years as an Assistant District Attorney with the Harris County District Attorney’s Office.
In addition to a law degree, Dorian holds a Master’s Degree in Psychology. Frequently, individuals who find themselves in the criminal justice system have mental health issues, struggle with addictions, or a combination of both. Dorian’s education and practical experience can frequently turn some of these issues into mitigating factors for our clients.
Dorian is a United States Army Combat Arms Veteran. His military experience helps him not only with his clients that are Veterans, but has also given him the opportunity to travel internationally to participate in War Crimes defense in Africa.
I deny the allegations and I defy the alligators!
Richard W. Leche
- J.D. — South Texas College of Law, 2001
- M.S. – Lamar University, 1992
- B.A. — Weber State University, 1990
- All Courts of the State of Texas
- U.S. Federal Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Federal Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Federal Court for the Western District of Texas
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Harris County Criminal Lawyers Association
- Houston Bar Association, Criminal Section
Publications and Teaching Credits:
- Teaching, Accredited CLE, Expunctions and Non-Disclosure Practice for Veterans. Kirkland & Ellis Veteran’s Assistance Clinic, Post-Conviction Seminar, Houston, Texas. June 7, 2017.
- Teaching, Accredited CLE, Expunctions and Non-Disclosure Practice. Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Post-Conviction Seminar, Houston, Texas. January 17, 2013.
- Teaching, Accredited CLE, What the General Practitioner Needs to Know About Criminal Law. Houston Bar Association, Houston, Texas. October 21, 2011.
- Teaching, Accredited CLE, Post-Conviction Remedies. Criminal Defense Lawyers Project (In conjunction with the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association), Houston, Texas. February 3, 2011.
- “Why Is This Still on My Record?” An Overview of Petitions for Non-Disclosure in the Lone Star State. The Defender, Harris County Criminal Lawyers Association, Summer 2010 Issue.
- “You Got Me Off, Now What?” District and County Court Expunction Practice in Texas. The Defender, Harris County Criminal Lawyers Association, Fall 2010 Issue.
- Getting Hired, Getting Fees and Getting to Keep Them: The Ethics and the Realities of Representing White Collar Defendants. Robert J. Sussman and Dorian C. Cotlar. South Texas College of Law White Collar Crime Conference. May 2000.
Military Awards and Honors:
- Army Commendation Medal, Joint Service Achievement Medal, Army Achievement Medal, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Armed Forces Reserve Medal, National Defense Service Medal, NATO Medal, Army Service Ribbon, Texas Adjutant General’s Individual Award.